Tuesday, October 10, 2006


The cancer in my sternum is definitely breast cancer. This is good news, as I know what the treatment is and it has a decent prognosis.

The next step will be surgery to remove my ovaries. I've called the surgeon's office, but they haven't called me back with a surgery date. Hopefully they'll call me in the next day or two.

I feel much better knowing what we're dealing with, although I do feel a little guilty having delayed everything by two months. I'm concerned by the lymphedema I've got going on - I have mild swelling in my arm, hand, and side. I have a sneaking suspicion that the lymphedema is linked to more cancer in the breast. If I'm right, then the surgery might make the swelling go down (since my cancer grows because of estrogen - when the ovaries are removed, most of the estrogen in my body will be gone).

My family doctor also suggested that he would like me to go back to my old oncologist. I'm thinking about it.


Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you at least have some solid information now. That should mean no more sternal biopsies, right?


Anonymous said...

I don't think the 2 months were wasted as you would always have had that little voice in your head 'What if...?' Now you can move forward with treatment knowing it's exactly what you need.

Love you always and forever, Mom